Podcast: Bill Dow – Leading a high-impact PMO
Many PMO leaders fall into management positions accidentally because they’re a gun at project management, but they lack crucial leadership skills. Does that sound like you or your boss? PMO specialist Bill Dow is here to share some of his insights into leading and nurturing PMOs.
Bill is a recognised expert in project management by the Project Management Institute (PMI), a college educator, and has worked at Microsoft for more than 10 years. He’s seen many PMOs fall into the pattern of churning out projects for the sake of it, as their leaders scramble to put out fires instead of looking at the bigger picture.
In this podcast, Bill speaks with Elise Stevens about how to lead and nurture a high-impact PMO.
Points raised in this podcast with Bill Dow:
- PMO leaders should be aligned closely with business leaders to ensure every project moves the business forward.
- While many PMOs are eager to get stuck into the execution of projects, they instead need to be focused on their relationships with business leaders, and ensure stakeholders know what value they’re getting from the PMO.
- A great PMO starts with people. PMO leaders should prioritise the team over the tools and processes. Consider a mentoring program or buddy system to ensure employees have somewhere to go when they need help.
- Don’t kill people with process. Some team members will need lots of process but others will be bogged down by it.
- PMO leaders should make time for self-reflection and ensure improving their leadership skills and finding mentors is a priority.
- A focus on self-improvement and constant learning should also be part of the PMO’s culture.
- Sometimes, a PMO leader will be required to show strong leadership and shut down a project that is no longer in line with the business’ values.
About Bill Dow:
Bill Dow is a senior product marketing manager at Microsoft. With almost three decades of experience in project management, Bill Dow is a recognised expert in project management by the Project Management Institute (PMI). He has taught several courses as an adjunct professor at Bellevue College in Washington and co-authored several books.
ARE YOU READY TO START THINKING BIG?
Are you ready to start thinking BIG about your role and the importance of the PMO to drive IMPACT?
I am excited to announce the PMO IMPACT Summit. For two weeks beginning September 10th, myself and many other industry experts will come together to help ensure that you as a PMO leader are positioned to THRIVE, not simply survive, as you build and run your PMOs. Our goal is to empower you with our best techniques to ensure that your PMO is a key driver of IMPACT realization in your organization and that business leaders understand and value the contributions of the PMO.
Join us live for free by registering here: https://PMOIMPACTSummit.
During this Summit, I will personally be presenting:
WHY PMOs OFFER GREAT CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR WOMEN
Effective business driven PMOs enable organisations to deliver LASTING change! PMO team members require a diverse skill set and mindset to facilitate these changes, and to THRIVE in the modern industry. This interview will help you MASTER the skills that business driven PMOs require. We will also discuss why PMOs offers fantastic career opportunities for WOMEN in the modern age.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the Summit!