Let’s talk about how to become a better influencer
In this podcast, Elise Stevens speaks to Michelle Gibbings about how to become a better influencer.
Michelle has more than 20 years’ experience helping people in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors succeed through organisational change. She is the Founder and Director of Change Meridian, a boutique consulting practice that helps organisations benefit from change. She is an experienced trainer, advisor, speaker and author.
She has worked with a number of the world’s largest organisations including AMP, CBA, Coles, Mercer, MLC and NAB, on a range of issues spanning strategy, compliance, governance, risk and program management.
Points raised in this podcast:
- A project manager navigates large and complicated pieces of work with a wide variety of stakeholders at all different levels of the organisation. In order to do so it is essential project managers are able to have the right types of conversations.
- Employers expect project managers to have good influencing skills.
- Do not mistake positive influence that benefits the project, with negative or self-motivated influence used to manipulate or gain power.
- Talk to people. Find out where you may need to improve and focus on building one skill at a time.
- You cannot influence well if you are not able to regulate your behaviour and emotions.
- Project managers must build resilience and coping skills so when things don’t go to plan they still appear calm and in control. This will help to build trust among both stakeholders and team members.
- Know the bias or triggers that trip you up and lead you to make unwise decisions.
- Understand the organisational dynamic, where the power bases lie and how to construct a stakeholder network that you can leverage to get things done.
- Learn to listen and ask the right kinds of questions. Be present when people speak to you so they feel they are being heard.
- Project managers should also work to develop good negotiation skills.
Learn more about how to become a better influencer with Michelle’s book Step Up: How To Build our Influence At Work.
Listen to Podcast 106: How to Become a Better Influencer