Podcast: Hussain Bandukwala – Yes, you can set up a PMO in 100 days
The success or failure of a newly elected head of state is often measured by how much they achieve in their first 100 days. Hussain Bandukwala thinks PMOs should be measured in the same way.
Hussain is the founder of Parwaaz Consulting, helping PMO leaders establish and grow their PMO by developing their leadership, decision-making and people management skills.
In this podcast, he convinces Elise Stevens that it’s possible to set up a PMO in 100 days and explains why those first precious months are the most valuable.
Action movie buffs will love Hussain’s unique take on the phases of setting up a PMO and why a PMO leader needs to wear many hats.
Points raised in this podcast with Hussain Bandukwala:
- PMO leaders often think setting up a PMO should take several years but it doesn’t have to. Depending on the size of the organisation and the scope of the PMO, it is sometimes possible to set up a PMO in 100 days.
- Setting up a PMO can be thought of as a mini project. The process requires start and end points, a schedule, perhaps a budget, good communication and change management.
- The first 100 days is a crucial time for the PMO leader to put their best foot forward, let everyone know their intent and ensure the PMO is well-received.
- Sometimes, a PMO will have too many stakeholders and sponsors to be set up in 100 days, but that period is still crucial for getting buy-in and establishing a positive perception.
- A PMO should have a deliberate plan for delivering small wins but also be focused on the larger scope.
- A PMO leader must have the right team around them. The old saying rings true: ‘If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together’.
- A mentor or coach can provide support and boost motivation and confidence.
- No matter how much experience a PMO leader has, they should consider each new PMO as a learning opportunity as no two are the same.
About Hussain Bandukwala:
Hussain Bandukwala is the founder and chief coach at Parwaaz Consulting, helping PMO leaders succeed. Hussain arms aspiring and first-time PMO leaders in high-growth, small and medium-sized organisations to meet their strategic goals and deliver project value. He has led and facilitated the set-up of PMOs at several companies and advised numerous PMO leaders throughout their own set-up journeys. He is a writer, speaker and teacher at LinkedIn Learning.