I hate my boss.
I hate going to work.
I am just so stressed.
Are you in this situation? I have some great tips on how you can manage this situation:
Tip #1: Why is it that you don’t like your boss?
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself about the situation
- What is about your boss’ behaviour that is causing you not like them?
- Why isn’t the relationship working for you?
- When did you first notice this situation?
- What was the trigger?
- Was it a slow burn or one specific incident?
Answering these 5 questions will help you focus on the core issue(s) and help to identify a path forward.
Tip #2: What is it going to take to build a better relationship with them?
Acknowledging that the relationship is not working for you, is the first step in moving forward.
The next step is to think about what the things are you can do to improve the relationship. If you are having issues, it is important to remember the only thing you can change is how you respond to the situation, everything else is outside of your control. Things to consider include:
- Highlighting your issues with your boss – this step can go really well, very badly and everything in between
- Adjust your approach to be in sync with your boss – analyse and observe the people that appear to get along with your boss then put these things into action for yourself
Tip# 3: Should I stay or should I go?
This is a very important question to ask yourself. Do you want to stay working for someone you hate or is it time to move on?
I hope that these 3 tips have helped you manage this very tricky situation.