The importance of networking every day
In this podcast, Elise Stevens speaks with business networking guru Michael J Hughes about the importance of networking everyday, and how to do this.
Do you think about networking only when you’re at a scheduled event – or do you incorporate it into your every day encounters with people?
Michael helps professionals build their businesses by networking better. He has spent the last 20 years as a business coach, trainer, speaker and author.
His specialties include business-to-business networking strategies and using networking groups as a business development strategy. In 2006, he served as Chair of the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce – one of the most respected networking groups in the world.
Points raised in this podcast:
- We are networking consciously and subconsciously every day – not just at scheduled events a few times a year.
- A project manager’s ability to communicate effectively and build collaboration is essential to a project’s success.
- Employers want project managers that can leverage their networks.
- How well you “move around” an organisation can impact your influence on a project.
- Networking can become a mindset rather than an activity.
- Every person we meet can hold potential for us – even if they are not relevant to our careers or current projects.
- Don’t just consider what a person can do you for, but what you can do for them. This isn’t always something that you will learn in a three-minute conversation, which is why deeper relationship building is important.
- Being seen as someone that is helpful and generous will reap rewards.
- Building a relationship is a process, not something that happens in a single conversation or event.
- The more you listen and the more you ask questions, the sooner you realise how you can help people.
- Getting a project across the line is difficult – having a supportive network can make a huge difference.
- Networking allows people to connect more deeply and work better together.
- Leaders should focus less on the project and more on the people.
- Treat networking like a well. Build it before you need it.
Don’t know where to start? Listen to Elise speak with digital marketing guru Ray Milidoni about how to get out there and network well.
Listen to this Podcast #114: