Podcast #183 : Joe Pusz – Getting unstuck
How do you know if you’re stuck in your career?
Maybe you really like your team, your boss is fair, and you’ve got a great salary and benefits.
You’re good at your job. You’re comfortable. So, why would you want to give all that up to take a risk on something new?
In this podcast, Elise Stevens speaks with project management consultant Joe Pusz, who gave up a fantastic job to start his own business.
Joe explains that although he had a great title and team, he wasn’t tracking towards his career goals. The water was too calm. It was time to pull up the anchor and sail to a new location.
Points raised in this podcast:
- If you are doing the same thing over and over, you get passed over for roles or opportunities or people have stopped coming to you for advice, you might be stuck.
- Consider the patterns you are in. Do you park in the same spot every day? Set your alarm for the same time? Do you answer questions from colleagues without thinking?
- We suppress thoughts of being stuck when we have a lot going on, either at work or at home.
- Covid-19 may have forced you to deviate from your daily office routine. When you return to the office, take note of how quickly you fall into old patterns.
- In order to get unstuck, you must be willing to pull up the anchor.
- Find a mentor who is two or three steps down your dream career path.
- Seek a diversity of thought rather than only taking advice from people similar to you. Look for the people who are going to challenge you rather than just say ‘yes’.
- Often after we do change jobs, we can’t believe we didn’t make the jump sooner.
- The team who wins the championship is never the same team who started the season. It must grow and change to reach its goal.
- Change is not scary when we are the ones making it, only when it is made for us.
About Joe Pusz:
Joe is the Founder and President of THE PMO SQUAD, a US-based PMO and Project Management Consulting firm. For over seven years, THE PMO SQUAD has been assisting clients around the world with their innovative Purpose Driven PMO.
He is host of the Project Management Office Hours Radio Show and Podcast providing Project Management Leaders a voice within our community. Now in its third season, the show has had over 20 million plays/downloads.
Joe is also Co-Founder of VPMMA, the Veterans Project Manager Mentor Alliance which is a Non-Profit Organization assisting Veterans seeking to transition into civilian Project Management careers. VPMMA provides Veterans and Military Spouses mentoring, networking and professional support.
PMO Joe supports the global Project Management community as Managing Director of the PMO Global Survey and Judge for the PMO Global Awards. He is also a frequent blogger on ProjectManagement.com and presenter at global Project Management events.
You can connect with Joe on LinkedIn.
Visit my shop to grab a copy of my #1 best selling book: Age Defying Careers For Women At 40, along with my brilliant Guidebook for those wanting to really nail out the details of their goals with complete clarity.
If you would like to work on a collaboration, or simply say hi – send me a message here. I’d love to hear from you.