Podcast: Kylie Stephan – SOS (Save Our Stakeholders!)
Stakeholder engagement can be incredibly tricky – but it’s an unavoidable part of the job! In this podcast, trainer and coach Kylie Stephan talks with Elise Stevens about common stakeholder engagement pitfalls and why going back to basics can be the best tactic.
Project managers are working in challenging times with a rapid rate of change and resource constraints. To overcome these challenges, Kylie found a way to work smarter, not harder, with tools and systems to support project managers. At the heart of her strategy is a return to simple politeness and integrity.
Kylie will inspire you to put your hurt feelings and grudges aside and get back on track to a positive relationship with your stakeholders.
Points raised in this podcast with Kylie Stephan:
- A one-size-fits-all approach does not work when it comes to stakeholders.
- Don’t engage with stakeholders until you know who they all are. It’s best not to make assumptions and instead test your list with other project team members.
- Dysfunctional stakeholder relationships often happen when project managers don’t understand their stakeholders.
- Always listen to understand, not to respond.
- Project members can have short tempers. Don’t underestimate the value of being polite and respectful.
- Following through on promises and commitments is crucial to building rapport and trust.
- Speaking ill of your stakeholders will not do you any favours.
About Kylie Stephan:
Kylie Stephan is a trainer and coach who specialises in helping project managers and organisations achieve outstanding project outcomes. For the last 10 years, she has been a project manager for one of Australia’s largest Commonwealth agencies. During that time, she delivered millions of dollars of projects and understands the challenges project managers face. Now she’s on a mission to share her tips with others. You can connect with Kylie on LinkedIn.