Podcast: Laura Barnard – Start with why?
Laura Barnard will turn the way you think about project management upside down. After decades working as a project manager and PMO leader, she has managed to boil the game down to one question: why?
Through her online training and coaching program IMPACT by Laura, and consulting organisation PMO Strategies, Laura wants to shake up the way the project management industry sees itself. Instead of simply creating checklists and enforcing tools and templates, she believes project managers and PMO leaders have the power to solve business problems and deliver greater return on investment. After all, that’s what business leaders want, right?
Too many project managers find themselves hanging on by a thread; simply surviving when they should be thriving. If this is you, Laura has some tips to help you start driving impact and solving business problems.
Points raised in this podcast with Laura Barnard:
- Don’t be trapped into feeling the need to drive change quickly. Good change is sustainable, and that takes time.
- Business leaders want to see results. As a project manager or PMO leader, you can’t spend two years just building templates and tools, first you must prove you can solve problems.
- Build your credibility by fixing something. First, assess the organisation, understand where the real opportunities are and help your business leader realise the changes they need.
- Once they trust you, you can introduce the templates and tools and processes.
- Start with why? Don’t think about what you do, think about why you do it. Project management is much more than just implementation methodology.
- PMO leaders should change their perspective from believing the PMO is temporary, to seeing it as a sustainable business unit that has goals and objectives.
About Laura Barnard:
Laura Barnard has spent more than two decades helping business leaders get the results they crave using the power of project management. She has spent 15 years as a PMO leader and the last five years helping businesses accelerate their growth through her consulting practice PMO Strategies and online training program IMPACT by Laura. She runs several training and membership programs to help you grow your PM and PMO competency with a deliberate focus on driving high-IMPACT outcomes on every project. Follow her blog, “I wish I had me when I was you… “ or connect with her on LinkedIn.