Podcast: Mark Price Perry, pioneer of the Business Driven PMO
Forget everything you may have heard about PMOs, Mark Price Perry is here to turn yours on its head. In this podcast, Mark makes the case to Elise Stevens that organisations should invest in a Business Driven PMO.
Business Driven PMOs are run like business units, focused on the results desired by the leadership team, and with a keen understanding of stakeholder bias.
Mark’s golden rule is “It’s not your PMO”. As a PMO leader, what you want to do is irrelevant. To have a truly Business Driven PMO, you need to focus on the leadership team and what they want.
If you found your PMO plan on Google, or your PMO review involves a list of projects, Mark will make you rethink your approach.
Points raised in this podcast with Mark Price Perry:
- Business Driven PMOs are more likely to be successful and deliver more value and better results, compared to PMOs run by traditional methods.
- PMO leaders often look outside the business for examples of how the PMO should be built and run, but looking internally can reap greater rewards.
- It is crucial to look at the project-related business issues and opportunities the PMO will serve. Only once you have established the ends that need to be achieved, should you decide the means to reach those ends.
- Start by establishing a PMO mandate based on its purpose, then establish a business plan.
- A PMO review should be a review of the performance of the PMO in achieving the objectives of the business unit, not a review of the list of projects.
- Speak the language of business, not the language of project management.
About Mark Price Perry:
Mark Price Perry pioneered the concept of the Business Driven PMO, challenging the traditional approach to PMO setup and management. Mark is a “boat-rocker” and outspoken critic who believes the traditional approach has led to PMO failures and loss of executive support.
Mark’s approach is driven by the specific needs of the business as determined by the leadership team, not industry standards or the latest PMO models, buzzwords and hype. He is the author of the Business Driven PMO book series and the creator and host of The PMO Podcast.
You can connect with Mark on LinkedIn.
ARE YOU READY TO START THINKING BIG?
Are you ready to start thinking BIG about your role and the importance of the PMO to drive IMPACT?
I am excited to announce the PMO IMPACT Summit. For two weeks beginning September 10th, myself and many other industry experts will come together to help ensure that you as a PMO leader are positioned to THRIVE, not simply survive, as you build and run your PMOs. Our goal is to empower you with our best techniques to ensure that your PMO is a key driver of IMPACT realization in your organization and that business leaders understand and value the contributions of the PMO.
Join us live for free by registering here: https://PMOIMPACTSummit.
During this Summit, I will personally be presenting:
WHY PMOs OFFER GREAT CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR WOMEN
Effective business driven PMOs enable organisations to deliver LASTING change! PMO team members require a diverse skill set and mindset to facilitate these changes, and to THRIVE in the modern industry. This interview will help you MASTER the skills that business driven PMOs require. We will also discuss why PMOs offers fantastic career opportunities for WOMEN in the modern age.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the Summit!