Podcast Episode #164: Echo Woolf – The art of project management
Art is defined as the expression or application of human creativity or imagination. It’s a much broader definition than simply painting or sculpture, but many project managers will still wonder why a conversation about art belongs in the project management world.
According to project management consultant Echo Woolf, thinking about project management as an art form simply means thinking about what moves and motivates people. As she explains to Elise Stevens in this podcast, the art of project management lies in personal development; seeking intentional experiences and constantly refining soft skills in an attempt to perfect the craft.
If you’ve only ever considered project management as a science, now’s the time to open your mind to a more creative approach.
Points raised in this podcast with Echo Woolf:
- Project management is both an art and a science.
- All great art involves not just imagination but technical skill.
- Even the most abstract art requires the artist to maintain a level of control.
- Project management often requires creative solutions to manage the project team and stakeholders.
- Embracing creativity can help project managers improve their decision-making and problem solving.
- Projects are more abstract than linear and require constant assessment and adjustment.
- Seeking mentorship, particularly in leadership and communication skills, can help project managers refine their soft skills.
- Taking on work that no one else wants to do often means finding unique and challenging opportunities for learning.
About Echo Woolf:
Echo Woolf was never an “accidental project manager”, she consciously and deliberately chose the field that she was drawn to eight years ago.
As a result of her passion, she began helping project managers reach their full potential in the industry by enhancing their core skills to transform professionals from good project managers into remarkable ones. She co-founded Your PM Sidekick so she could act as a sidekick to other passionate professionals in all things project management.
Echo enjoys the hot and sunny Arizona weather, travelling and continually investing herself in learning all things project management. She runs off coffee and humour.
Visit my online shop to grab a copy of my #1 best selling book: Age Defying Careers For Women At 40, along with my brilliant Guidebook for those wanting to really nail out the details of their goals with complete clarity.
We have a very active community online too! Get involved. Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn or Twitter. See other projects I’ve been involved with on the Press page. If you would like to work on a collaboration, or simply say hi – send me a message here. I’d love to hear from you.