Podcast #188: Robert Gillette – Why professional development shouldn’t feel like homework
If you’re reading this, it’s fair to say you’re career-driven and work hard in your office hours. But that doesn’t mean you love spending your precious free time on professional development.
In this podcast, Elise Stevens speaks to Robert Gillette about how professional development can actually fill your cup rather than drain it.
Robert works in IT, where years of expertise can become irrelevant with a single software upgrade. Here, he explains why professional development doesn’t have to feel like homework.
Points raised in this podcast:
- Not everything you have learned will continue to be relevant, particularly in regard to technology. This means it’s crucial to be a life-long learner.
- Lifelong learning is the ongoing, voluntary and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge.
- The key to motivating yourself into professional development is to find something that drives you into creation and learning that also helps your career.
- When you are time poor, being curious about people, technology and even history can help you learn in a way you enjoy.
- Involving a colleague, friend or even your spouse can make professional development less tedious.
- Consider what brings you joy and how that can be incorporated into your work. Your career is probably not entirely separate from what you’re passionate about so try to find the place they overlap.
- Think about what you can do that is so exciting you’ll do it at 9pm instead of watching television.
- There is scope for professional development no matter how old you are.
About Robert Gillette:
Robert Gillette is happily married with two children, and a San Francisco Bay Area native. Robert has experience as an IT employee, a middle manager, and business owner in more industries than he’d like to admit. He is currently an executive at Endsight, an Outsourced IT provider in Northern California, where he’s sold more than 1.2 million dollars in annual recurring revenue including the largest client in the company’s 15-year history.
You can connect with Robert on LinkedIn.
Visit my shop to grab a copy of my #1 best selling book: Age Defying Careers For Women At 40, along with my brilliant Guidebook for those wanting to really nail out the details of their goals with complete clarity.
If you would like to work on a collaboration, or simply say hi – send me a message here. I’d love to hear from you.