Podcast #199: Erika Flora – Change programs – it’s not about the technology!
We all love to buy technology hoping it will fix our problems and organisations are no different.
Cultural change is hard!
Digging deep into the issues with our people and processes is costly, complicated and time consuming and we’d all rather buy a fun new system and just rely on it to do the work for us.
In this podcast, Elise Stevens speaks with digital strategy coach Erika Flora about why we’re wasting our time, energy and money trying to get technology to solve all our problems.
Points raised in this podcast:
- Technology can be incredibly useful and powerful, but it cannot create organisational change by itself.
- Organisations must invest in their people and processes before buying a new tool.
- No matter how good a tool is, people won’t necessarily enjoy using it if the work hasn’t been done on preparing the people and processes.
- Everyone should clearly understand the organisation’s vision. Organisational change is simpler when everyone clearly understands the ‘why’ – what is the organisation about and why does it need to change?
- The COVID-19 pandemic has forced all of us to innovate rapidly, proving change is possible when the ‘why’ is made clear to people.
- Not every organisation or employee finds trying new things to be an enjoyable challenge.
- Leaders should try to be patient and empathetic as people navigate change.
- Even the best idea needs to be raised at the correct time and pace. Sometimes an idea will need to be shelved for a year or longer before the people within an organisation are ready for it.
Erika Flora is the CEO and Principal Consultant of Beyond20, and co-author of the essential global business ITIL 4 textbook, “Digital & IT Strategy,” available on Amazon. She started her career as a Microbiologist turned Program Manager and discovered a passion for improving how organisations manage the flow of work, deliver great products and services, and better serve their customers.
In 2006, she co-founded Beyond20, a Digital Transformation consulting and training firm based on ITIL, DevOps, Agile, Lean, and other best practice frameworks. Erika works with leaders in global organisations as a Digital Strategy facilitator and coach.
Erika is an avid blogger, speaker, and advocate of expanding opportunities for women and minorities in technology. Erika calls Washington, DC home. When not at work, you may find her cycling, reading, sailing, or performing improv comedy.
You can connect with Erika on LinkedIn.
Visit my shop to grab a copy of my #1 best selling book: Age Defying Careers For Women At 40, along with my brilliant Guidebook for those wanting to really nail out the details of their goals with complete clarity.
If you would like to work on a collaboration, or simply say hi – send me a message here. I’d love to hear from you.