CELEBRATING WOMEN IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERIES
Location: Beselare, Belgium
Connect on LinkedIn
My name is Elke Spinnewyn. I’m working as a digital project manager for nearly 10 years. Specialised in e-commerce and ERP implementation projects. I grew into the role as project manager during my career. I really love my job and would love to become a female expert in digital project management. To achieve that goal I never stop learning and improving myself. Last year I followed a post university course in project management. Currently studying for my PMP qualification, which is one of my main goals for 2019.
In my spare time I love reading books about project management and other related topics such as communication, leadership, business, … If you have some reading tips for me, I would love to hear them!
What I enjoy most about being a project manager is:
- The variety & flexibility in the job: working at the office with the team, working at the clients office, or even working a day at home to do the administration stuff.
- Everyday learning: as a project manager in the IT business, we have new challenges everyday. I learn everyday.
- Seeing customers actual working and achieving results with their digital transformation project.
The three most important skills I use to successfully deliver projects are:
- Communication: talking to each other, asking questions, being transparent to everyone involved in the project (team, customer, myself).
- Helicopter view: keeping an overview of the entire project, and seeing where interaction is needed.
- Analytical & technical skills: to keep track of project budgets, making estimations for change requests, etc.
I build and nurture my professional network by:
- LinkedIn, following interesting people, and engage with them online. I really love LinkedIn.
- As a single mom I don’t have that much time anymore to attend network events, but I try to attend every year the ‘Day of the Project Manager’ organised in Belgium.
At the start of my career, the one thing I wish I had known is:
I’m happy with how my career grew. If I have to name one thing, I wish I had taken a specific course on project management earlier.
Women who have inspired me so far in my career journey are:
- Elizabeth Harrin – because of her great blog “A girl’s guide to project management”.
- Katia Van Belle – I love her teaching & speaking style at conferences.
- Petra Kuipers (stay tuned for Petra’s profile in this Celebrating Women in PM 2019 Series!) – Inspires other project managers with relevant content on social media.
The most valuable advice I have ever been given is:
Don’t be afraid to be yourself. The things you think are the good things, don’t be afraid to stand up and say them aloud.
My advice for women on finding success as a project manager is:
Let you support by other like minded people, who have experience in the domain of project management.
Hello amazing women of the project management world!
My observation after two decades of working in the project management industry is that our voices as women are simply not heard enough online in articles, podcasts, and across social media channels. Let’s change that!
- If you’re a woman working in project management, I want to hear from you! Submit your profile today to make sure to be included in this years event which has already begun.
- Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn to be inspired by daily posts as we celebrate all of these wonderful women in project management! Feel motivated by their stories, achievements and perspectives.
- Tell us how you feel and support other women by including #CelebratingWomenInProjectManagement in your social media posts.
- Join our FREE exclusive Celebrating Women in Project Management Facebook group – a new space for women in project management to come together and discuss ideas, give advice, provide support, and network with women from all over the globe.