CELEBRATING WOMEN IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERIES
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Connect on LinkedIn
I am a goal oriented Leader with over 10 + years of experience working with software development teams in India, across Africa & in the North Americas. The experience of working with diverse multi cultural backgrounds has been very fulfilling. I played team lead , functional manager , scrum master & agile coach roles over the years. Working with the team to solve complex problems and delivering expected value has been my forte.
Micro management has never been my style, I trust people are inherently good and want to add value, my passion is to lead them towards customer centric value delivery.
I am passionate about enabling digital enterprises, to sprint towards relentless “Customer Focused” Value Delivery, Sustainably! I achieve this via guided continuous improvement .
Leading comes naturally to me, I empower my team always so that they an manage themselves.I encourage my product owners to be able to communicate and empathize with the customers in order to gain insights and deliver right solutions , at the right time when it matters most.
With my certifications under my belt, several customer commendations and experience in the areas of process engineering, quality assurance , internal auditing , governance , traditional and agile software development , i believe sky is the limit for women who want to lead and be a role model for the younger professional sin our industry.
What I enjoy most about being a project manager is:
Working with a team towards a common goal and delivering value to our customers. Leading and coaching the team to be high performing. Seeing team members succeed relentlessly.
The three most important skills I use to successfully deliver projects are:
1. Communication ; transparent and just in time communication with all stakeholders
2. Looking at the bigger picture and being cognizant of the “why” of the project
3. Trust the team and also enable them constantly & provide them the resources they need in order to perform
4. Build a cross functional team which works together and doesn’t get disbanded at the end of the project ( long lasting product focused teams)
I build and nurture my professional network by:
Sharing knowledge and ideas with my network online and in professional groups, meet ups. Following industry experts on professional communities.
At the start of my career, the one thing I wish I had known is:
Not to take life so seriously. Have a purpose but don’t be under pressure all the time.
Women who have inspired me so far in my career journey are:
VP at my first organization. BI Head in my recent organization. Women heads of state. My mother.
The most valuable advice I have ever been given is:
To be myself and constantly become better than myself.
My advice for women on finding success as a project manager is:
Communicate effectively and honestly, have integrity and lead by example. Have a sense of purpose in what ever you do. Encourage other women to rise don’t put them down.
Hello amazing women of the project management world!
My observation after two decades of working in the project management industry is that our voices as women are simply not heard enough online in articles, podcasts, and across social media channels. Let’s change that!
- If you’re a woman working in project management, I want to hear from you! Submit your profile today to make sure to be included in this years event which has already begun.
- Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn to be inspired by daily posts as we celebrate all of these wonderful women in project management! Feel motivated by their stories, achievements and perspectives.
- Tell us how you feel and support other women by including #CelebratingWomenInProjectManagement in your social media posts.
- Join our FREE exclusive Celebrating Women in Project Management Facebook group – a new space for women in project management to come together and discuss ideas, give advice, provide support, and network with women from all over the globe.