CELEBRATING WOMEN IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT 2020 SERIES
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Connect via my website
I have had a long career in Digital Strategies, User Experience and innovation. These days I am all about supporting charities to improve processes, negotiate and manage contracts, and manage key messaging. I also am a Director in The Netherlands Project Management Institute leading the Education Foundation work. This includes sharing the power of project management with Educators and Students.
What is your project management super power?
Ability to flex a process to fit the needs of the team and goal.
How can gender diversity be improved in the project management profession?
Everyone’s voice needs to be valued. We all need to mentor both genders to improve new project members point of view. Too many capable women project managers are ‘discounted’ by men. The language needs to change.
As the profession evolves, what skills do you think will be key for future success?
The ability to learn quickly, assimilate new ideas, and challenge yourself.
How do you recover from difficult situations?
Learn from it, and move forward.
What are your tips and techniques for conflict resolution?
1. stop and listen, make sure you understand (sometimes the choice of words make us assume there is disagreement but there isn’t). 2. focus on what each party wants/needs. 3. figure out if the other party wants to make things better or has another agenda.
Bottom line: define the conflict, is it a personality issue, or a key decision. If it is a key decision: fight your corner – women sometimes back down. Don’t do that – find a way to move forward, but don’t agree to a decision that you don’t believe in (ie won’t work).
Which 3 words best describe why you enjoy being a project manager?
Hello amazing women of the project management world! My Celebrating Women in Project Management Series highlights your stories to inspire others, raise the profile of women in the project management profession, and to further strengthen our global network.
- If you’re a woman working in project management, I want to hear from you! Submit your profile today to make sure to be included in this years event which has already begun.
- Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn to be inspired by daily posts as we celebrate all of these wonderful women in project management! Feel motivated by their stories, achievements and perspectives.
- Tell us how you feel and support other women by including #CelebratingWomenInProjectManagement in your social media posts.
- Join our FREE exclusive Celebrating Women in Project Management Facebook group – a new space for women in project management to come together and discuss ideas, give advice, provide support, and network with women from all over the globe.