CELEBRATING WOMEN IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERIES
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Connect on LinkedIn
Naomi Caietti, PMP, CTM is a passionate project management consultant, speaker and author with over 25 years of experience managing software development and technology projects, programs and portfolios in key industries, including technology data centers, education and pension systems. Her personal commitment is to assist organizations to realize business value through delivery of excellence in projects, leadership, and strategic management.
Naomi Caietti, PMP, CTM
Author, Transform Your Project Leadership
Managing Director, Naomi Caietti Consulting
What I enjoy most about being a project manager is:
As a small woman business owner, seasoned project professional and digital entrepreneur I love that I’ve “found my voice to inspire project leaders around the globe to step up and lead.” Project Management has really changed and shifted over the last 10 years; challenges and obstacles still exist for women but they are breaking through those barriers to step up and lead especially in STEM fields.
The three most important skills I use to successfully deliver projects are:
Self -leadership, strategic focus and engagement with sponsors, teams and stakeholders.
Project professionals today should focus on self-leadership with a growth mindset, exercise personal growth and development augmented by a mentor, coach and/or sponsor and put into action plans to create opportunities to leverage your strengths and minimize your behavioural gaps.
In fact, key chapters you’ve contributed to discuss these skills in depth in my new book “Transform Your Project Leadership” For Professional Leading Projects and Company Initiatives.”
I build and nurture my professional network by:
Building a professional network is more important than you might think. I build and nurture my network through introductions online and in person, collaborate on projects/books/conferences and just pick up the phone and reach out.
My office is remote and virtual so I focus on four things:
- Networking at the virtual water-cooler: LinkedIn, Twitter Chats and other social media
- Speaker at 1-4 virtual events a year: i.e. PMI, ProjectManagement.com, Workfront, ITMPI
- Podcast Tours: As a speaker and author it’s great to share just in time information about leadership and project management.: PM Happy Hour Podcast, PM Office Hours Podcast, Timebase Podcast
- Collaboration with other authors, speakers and like-minded professionals to bring ideas to life for the community.
At the start of my career, the one thing I wish I had known is:
Reflecting on what I wish I have known early in my career would be how important a group of advisers is as you move up the ladder in your career. A team of advisers to provide mentoring, coaching and sponsorship can help accelerate and shape the trajectory of your career especially as a project leader.
Women who have inspired me so far in my career journey are:
As a woman in project management and leadership; it was important for me to see, meet and talk with women representing diversity in leadership roles as roles model in government, information technology and project management.
These are a few women who stay at the top of mind and have inspired me in my career :
- Patty Lopez, Latinas in Computing Leader and Engineer at Intel
- Madeline Albright, previous Secretary of State
- Maria Shriver, Founder of Women’s Conference
- Claudia Chan, Founder SHE Summit
- Elise Stevens, Elizabeth Harrin, Deanne Earle, Alexia Nalewaik, Susanne Madsen, PMI Women Fellows, Women Leaders in Project Management
The most valuable advice I have ever been given is:
The most valuable advice I have ever been given by my coach is to live your vision and values daily. If you are open, coach-able and stay focused on this daily mindful practice your life will change for the better personally and professionally over time.
My advice for women on finding success as a project manager is:
My advice for women on finding success as a project manager comes from years of experience, research, and community engagement speaking about project leadership. There’s not enough space here to share key insights. In my new book “Transform Your Project Leadership,” I answer the following question; “What are the secrets other leaders have discovered to thrive in their current jobs, propel their careers down the right path, and apply a laser focus on core skills?” Preview the book online and pre-order a paperback or ebook on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, and Smashwords. It will launch in January 2019 packed with advice, tips and more.
Hello amazing women of the project management world!
My observation after two decades of working in the project management industry is that our voices as women are simply not heard enough online in articles, podcasts, and across social media channels. Let’s change that!
- If you’re a woman working in project management, I want to hear from you! Submit your profile today to make sure to be included in this years event which has already begun.
- Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn to be inspired by daily posts as we celebrate all of these wonderful women in project management! Feel motivated by their stories, achievements and perspectives.
- Tell us how you feel and support other women by including #CelebratingWomenInProjectManagement in your social media posts.
- Join our FREE exclusive Celebrating Women in Project Management Facebook group – a new space for women in project management to come together and discuss ideas, give advice, provide support, and network with women from all over the globe.