CELEBRATING WOMEN IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERIES
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Connect on LinkedIn
I am a project management delivery specialist with over 13 years of project delivery and setup experience within the financial and insurance industries.
What I enjoy most about being a project manager is:
There is never a dull moment and you are the conductor of the orchestra. Always learning and you get to self-improve all the time. You are the one that makes it possible to get things done. People look to you for direction. Understand people and what makes them tick.
The three most important skills I use to successfully deliver projects are:
1. Being able to influence and lead
2. Being adaptable and communicable
3. Organized and see the bigger picture
Applying my own leadership style and experience that I have gained to my projects
I build and nurture my professional network by:
staying in touch with fellow project management community professionals on twitter and Linkedin, joining the #pmchat on twitter when I can. Attending the PMO industry forums every month, learning and reading.
At the start of my career, the one thing I wish I had known is:
To be less complacent and speak up. Your voice and opinion is valued else you wouldn’t have been invited to the table.
Women who have inspired me so far in my career journey are:
There are a number of strong women that I interact with on a daily basis from coaches to senior women in leadership and management. Each one of these inspire me to be a better me everyday and to stand up and make it easier for the next generation of women in corporate that will come along.
The most valuable advice I have ever been given is:
What legacy will you leave behind. How will you make people’s lives better and leave something sustainable behind. Always leave people better than you found them.
My advice for women on finding success as a project manager is:
Find your own and know your worth. Don’t be afraid to speak up. You’re invited to the table for a reason. Build relationships and networks.
Hello amazing women of the project management world!
My observation after two decades of working in the project management industry is that our voices as women are simply not heard enough online in articles, podcasts, and across social media channels. Let’s change that!
- If you’re a woman working in project management, I want to hear from you! Submit your profile today to make sure to be included in this years event which has already begun.
- Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn to be inspired by daily posts as we celebrate all of these wonderful women in project management! Feel motivated by their stories, achievements and perspectives.
- Tell us how you feel and support other women by including #CelebratingWomenInProjectManagement in your social media posts.
- Join our FREE exclusive Celebrating Women in Project Management Facebook group – a new space for women in project management to come together and discuss ideas, give advice, provide support, and network with women from all over the globe.